Want to know how you can connect your AirPods to a laptop that doesn’t have Bluetooth?
In this article I explain how you can connect your AirPods to any laptop that doesn’t come with a Bluetooth receiver.
Suggested – How to connect AirPods to MSI laptop
How to connect airpods to laptop without bluetooth
To connect your AirPods to a laptop that doesn’t have Bluetooth, you are going to need to buy a Bluetooth dongle. A bluetooth dongle is an external Bluetooth receiver in the form of a USB.
These dongles can be plugged into any laptop with a USB port. You can find these products on amazon, ebay or your local electronics store for as cheap as $5.
The one major flaw of the AirPods is that they can’t connect to any device that doesn’t have Bluetooth.
This includes gaming consoles, desktop computers, laptops, treadmills, airplane entertainment systems and any other device that lacks Bluetooth.
For such an expensive pair of earphones, that can be really disappointing.
After you get your dongle, here is how to connect your AirPods to your laptop.
Step 1: Search Windows For Bluetooth Settings
- Click on the windows icon in the bottom left corner or use the search bar.
- Search for Bluetooth settings
- Select Bluetooth & other devices
Step 2: Enable Bluetooth
- Enable Bluetooth by activating the toggle.
Step 3: Select Add Bluetooth Or Other Device
- Click on the Add Bluetooth or other device button at the top of the screen.
Step 4: Select Bluetooth Option
- Make sure your AirPods are inside the case and are charged.
- Open the lid on your AirPods case.
- Hold down the pairing button located on the back of the case until the light flashes to activate pairing mode.
- Then select the Bluetooth option while your device is in pairing mode.
Step 5: Select Your AirPods From Nearby Devices
- Select your device from the list of nearby devices.
- Make sure you do step 5 within 30 seconds of completing step 4 to ensure your device is found on the list.
- Sometimes it can take a few minutes for your AirPods to be discovered by your laptop.
Can AirPods Be Used Without Bluetooth?
Absolutely, AirPods can be used without Bluetooth with the use of a dongle instead.
USB Bluetooth dongles are a great solution to a laptop that doesn’t have a Bluetooth receiver.
The only problem I have faced when using my dongle is that the wireless connection is not as far as it would be when your AirPods are connected to your phone.
So if you’re walking around your house listening to music on your laptop, you can expect it to start cutting out when you get around 30 feet away.
I believe the cheaper the dongle the smaller the range it will have.
I bought a dongle for only $5 and it has done a really good job, the only issue it has is range. There is no audio delay and it works like a charm.
How To Disconnect AirPods From Laptop
You can disconnect your AirPods from your laptop by putting them in the case and closing it.
You can also disconnect them by going to ‘Start’ > ‘Settings’ > ‘Devices’ and select the AirPods from the audio devices list and then press disconnect.
Make sure you don’t press remove this device because it will remove the pairing connection and you will have to pair it again.
I have also had some issues pairing a device again after I have removed it.
Can you connect AirPods through WiFi?
No, there is no way to connect your AirPods through Wifi. It can only be done through Bluetooth with the use of a dongle or in-built Bluetooth receiver.
It’s possible to connect your AirPods to a laptop that doesn’t have Bluetooth, however you are going to need a dongle. These products are super cheap and get the job done.
I have been using a dongle for over 3 years and have had no issues with it.